main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

A universe of terrors

There are many things which, though perfectly sane when in isolation, appear insane when taken in context. Agreeing to be code-monkey on a fanfic archive when in the midst of changing career paths is probably one on them. I can see my own logic - I like poking about with code to the extent I find it relaxing after a hard day writing about the front ends of code, and as I am about to move away from it being my day job I clearly have an urge to hang on to it - but I can also see how mad it might be.

For reasons long and boring to go into and partially due to the need to make the thing easy to maintain and navigate*, I'm producing the archive via wordpress, which is giving me a fun learning curve. Soon I can add 'php cut'n'pasting code skills' to my CV. So if I'm quiet right now it's because I'm trying to download my brain by day and fill it with new code at night.


-----
Who geekery follows...

*really, just think about it for a moment. A Buffy archive has the ten or so main characters, including one eponymous hero, plus regular guests. That's not counting Angel regulars. Or Harmony. Even if you only include the TV and novels, Who has ten eponymous heroes and forty-one companions**.

Not counting the Brigadier or 'missing adventures' companions like Grant Markham. Nor any Doctors or companions from the audio stories (ah, the Richard E Grant ninth Doctor...wiped history by the Dalek Time War...maybe...). Nor the stage play Doctors. Nor the Cushing Doctor (I simply can't accept Roy Castle as Ian Chesterton, the sexiest science teacher until Doctor John Smith started at Sunnyvale High). Nor anyone from Torchwood.

And that's before you factor in regular guests like the Master, Mike Yates, the Rani, Davros or Sister Hain, or the Boe, or Mickey. If you think a list of the possible pairings for Buffy was long, imagine the possibilites Who raises... and it has to be navigatible. Eep.


**Susan, Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Katrina, Sara, Steven, Dodo, Ben, Polly, Jamie, Victoria, Zoe, Liz, Jo, Sarah Jane, Harry, Leela, Romana 1, Romana 2, K9, Adric, Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough, Kamelion, Peri, Mel, Ace....Benny, Chris, Roz, Grace, Sam, Fitz, Compassion, Anji, Trix...Rose, Jack, Martha... that was from memory. The shame.

Labels: ,

--
Posted @ 11:09 pm on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
| | #