main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

Another Bird Done Gone

Sébastian's new kill count:

  • Rodents:
    Rats - 1
    Mice - 27
    Voles - 8
  • Birds:
    Sparrows - 4
    Dunnocks - 1
    Robin - 1
    Uncertain - 5 6
  • Other:
    Frogs - 1
    Unidentifiable remains - 2 3

Sébastian 'Feathers' Halliday strikes again.

Meanwhile...I visited a couple of new (or new to me) things in Exeter in the last couple of weeks.

Yesterday I wanted to take a look at the rennovation of the old mill down by the quay. It's at the back of the Bishop's Blaize pub, and when I'd cycled past last weekend I'd noticed serious work was underway and the various wheels and cogs were on display. Like the mouse mill in Bagpuss, although it shows no sign of turning butterbeans into chocolate digestives. More's the pity. So, walking over to the Bon Gout deli yesterday, I diverted us via the old mill area. For ages there has been an old house down there, wrapped in scaffold. The scaffolding is off and the building is revealed as a branch of the eyestorm art gallery, selling contemporary prints. Unlike the Spacex (too 80s and never fails to disappoint) or the Triton (too prone to Athena-style Vettriano-esque triteness), this gallery actually had work which I was attracted to and which I thought would engage on a long term basis - which is the key to artwork you might buy. Not that I can afford to buy any of it, but I wasn't made to feel like I shouldn't walk in to look. One artist in particular caught my eye for producing large-scale pencil drawings which captured how I saw characters from Daniel O'Mahoney's new novel Force Majeure. I just wish I could remember the artist's name (it was something like Mark Beswick but he's not listed on the eyestorm site and google is blank).

The week before, I signed up to join a new cult film rental place. Brazil, named after my favourite film, was bound to catch my eye as it is on Fore Street in what the council insist on calling Exeter's West Quarter. This means I walk past every night on the way home. For those of you who live in Exeter, it's where Langham's News used to be, opposite Kitsch-U-Like (the retro shop which isn't as good as Otto's further down the hill). It's got a wide selection of films on DVD and VHS and works on the old-skool model of membership and nightly rental fees. This appeals partially as I've realised Lovefilm, whilst good on paper, doesn't allow for if you don't fancy watching Guerrilla - The Taking Of Patty Hearst tonight. Moreover the guy who runs it clearly loves his films. There's a section devoted to Ghibli, another to early British horror, another to John Waters. So popping in to pick a movie means getting some cineste film chatting in as well. Highly recommended.

Labels: ,

--
Posted @ 6:13 pm on Sunday, July 15, 2007
| | #