main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

The Long Haul

I finished at my job this week just gone. I've been there for 10+ years, moving from general assistant to code-monkey to tech writer. It was certaining an interesting job, and I'll miss some of the more crazy elements, but I needed to try my hand at new things. So after the bank holiday, I spend two weeks being trained up for a job in the Civil Service. As before, though, I won't talk about my employed work here, just any writing work I do in my free time.

Moving jobs did throw up one interesting thing. Like most people, I scoff at Noel Edmund's theory of "cosmic ordering". It strikes me as some kind of materialistic misunderstanding of karma and a classic example of dressing up simple pyschology as something mystical in order to sell something. However, once I had decided to look for a new job I wrote down the points a job had to have in order for me to apply for it. I emailed it out to friends, acknowledging that some elements might be unrealistic (a job based in the SW with some London work, f'instance). Within a few weeks, a job which met all the criteria came up. And I got it. Despite, or perhaps because, I used Sarah Jane Smith as the name of a spokesperson in my practical writing test.

According to "cosmic ordering", I dialled up this job like I would a takeaway curry. However, it's fairly obvious to me that, having defined what I wanted, I therefore had a clear checklist to measure all possible jobs against. I got what I wanted because I knew what I wanted. I wasn't rewarded by the cosmos, I was just logical and structured in my search. It's more akin to using google: if you define the terms clearly, you get the answers more quickly.

--

In other news, Sébastian is seeing how many collars he can lose in the garden.

--
Posted @ 1:02 pm on Saturday, May 05, 2007
| | #