main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

The Girl From I.L.I.K.E.

Anne runs the lovely I like blog which has long been a favourite of mine for logging what I can only describe as the formica future: slowly aging optimistic designs for the future from the 50s, 60s and 70s. For some reason, I always imagine her as having spent time in Troon, where A of unpopular and Carrie of Big Magpie are from, and having an entire set of Belle & Sebastian albums. I could be totally wrong there, but there's something about the particular aesthetic which makes me connect it all together. She also runs the fabulous Nothing to See Here, a guide for un-tourists.

Her new photoset of the UN building is great: there's something so intensely 60s about the shots that you half expect Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin to run across them. I suspect one reason for this is the relative lack of people (a photographic habit I also have). Growing up, one of my favourite books was a 1950s household management book of my mother's, whose colour plates showed formica futurist rooms devoid of people. I suspect the prosaic reason for this was that the technology then could not print flesh tones but it's a particular style which always makes me smile.

Labels: ,

--
Posted @ 4:10 pm on Sunday, November 26, 2006
| | #