main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

Hello? Is this the right place for an argument?

I get a bill for my BT line which was only used for dial-up and realise now is a perfect moment to cancel it what with having the boradband etc installed. I'm even home during their customer support hours (8am-8pm).

18.05
I call their number.
I press 1 because I am not calling from the BT line.
I type in the number of the line I am calling about.
I press 4 for more options.
I press 4 again because I would like to cancel my account.
I am, it tells me, being transferred to a customer advisor who will deal with my request.
I go on hold.

18.10
I am put through to 'Maisie'.
I give Maisie my account number.
I confirm my name.
I confirm my address.
Maisie: How can I help you, Ms Holiday?
Me: Halliday. I'd like to cancel my account.
Maisie: We can do that for you. Why are you cancelling?
Me: I no longer use the line.
Maisie: May I ask why you no longer use the line.
Me: Because I don't.
Maisie: Are you using your mobile?
Me: I don't need to tell you that. I just want to cancel my line.
Maisie: I'll transfer you to customer advisor.
Me: I thought I had been transferred to a customer advisor.
Back on hold.

18.13
I am put through to another customer advisor whose name I have promptly forgotten.
CA2: How can I help you Ms Halliday?
Me: I want to cancel my account.
CA2 tells me the cancellation date etc.
CA2: May I ask why you are cancelling the account?
Me: I don't use it anymore.
CA2: Were you unhappy with the service?
Me: Not until it took me 14 minutes, punching through an automated system and two advisors to cancel my account, no. I just don't use the line any more.
CA2: And why is that?
Me: Because I don't and I don't have to tell you why not.
CA2: We're just following the procedure---
Me: I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU. JUST CANCEL THE GORRAM ACCOUNT!

18.15
I hang up.

I know they're doing an unhappy job, and I know Maisie was just following a script, but the script should allow for people declining to provide non-essential information. It is none of BT's business why I am cancelling the line: their job is to provide me with a service, and to cease to provide it if a) I don't pay them for it or b) I tell them to stop doing it. What other arrangements I have is nothing to do with them.

Grrrr.

--
Posted @ 6:47 pm on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
| | #