main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

Modern(ist) Life is Rubbish

Not really.

Back from another work-related trip to London. Luckily the tedium of long-distance commuting and meetings I could have done in my sleep was offset by an enjoyable trip to the Modernism exhibition at the V&A. It's an exhaustive show, as well as exhausting. Ninety minutes or more of looking at things and debating the aims of the modernist movement, what we liked about it and why these utopian idealogical dreams failed both in general European terms and in spefic relation to Britain's cities of tomorrow (which are the slums of today). We also discussed chairs, ballet and which car was Thierry Henri advertising in those va-va-voom adverts. That last one had nothing to do with the exhibition, just sprung out of nowhere. It's the sort of show which suits wandering and discussing stuff.

I have discovered the one flaw in the relaxation of drinking laws in the UK. Since time is no longer rung in some pubs, you may find yourself realising it is nearly midnight and you need to get onto the Tube quick before it shuts down. Had a hotel room with a stunning view of the Post Office tower through a shell of a building being gutted and rebuilt, which seemed an entirely appropriate image to end an evening of modernism on. I did try to take a photo but it was feeble.

Back in Devon, I've switched hairdresser to one who actually listened to what I wanted and had a rare moment of buying music. I went in vaguely hoping for some Cory Branan and came out with Belle & Sebastian, The Magnetic Fields and British Sea Power. At least generically they are all similar and The Magnetic Fields album makes sense as I have been unable to stop singing I'm The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side since I first heard it. I was going to get Brenan because I also love The Prettiest Waitress in Memphis and in my brain - and my playlists - those two songs are linked.

--
Posted @ 7:23 pm on Friday, May 19, 2006
| | #