main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

How To Cook Like a Child No. 1

I blame my lovely latte sister, beta-reader, travelling companion and all round Goddess of Construction, Kelly. She posted a recipe for what are aparently called 'Snickerdoodles' but which she far more accurately calls Crack Cookies.

This has led to me washing out my big mixing bowl, buying some ingredients and having a go. She's right. They are like crack. The raw dough alone is like a drug...

When I was a kid, the first thing I learnt to cook was gingerbread to a family recipe. These crack cookies are similar, although rather sweeter. Also, they use more eggs than the gingerbread, which I can't help but suspect is a side-effect of the family gingerbread recipe being modified during WW2 when eggs were rather scarce and a different binding agent was required. I love making biscuits/cookies but to me it's not real cooking: it's cooking for kids. There's the bit where you rub in the butter, sifting the dry ingredients through your fingers. That bit is remarkably similar, in my mind, to gardening. There's something very satisfying about getting dug in.

So here is the recipe translated to UK/EU and tweaked to match my family method of making biscuits...

Dough
14oz self-raising flour (396g)
9oz sugar (225g)
2tsp cream of tartar
1tsp baking soda/powder
pinch of salt
8oz butter (225g)
2 medium eggs

Dusting
2tbl sugar
2tsp cinnammon

  1. Heat oven to 200C.
  2. Mix up the dry dough ingredients.
  3. Rub in the butter.
  4. Fold in the eggs.
  5. Do NOT just eat the dough.
  6. Mix up the Dusting ingredients.
  7. Take a teaspoons-worth of dough, roll it into a ball, and roll the ball in the dusting.
  8. Bake on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
  9. Allow to coo---. Oh, eat the damn cookies. With cold milk.

--
Posted @ 10:05 pm on Thursday, March 09, 2006
| | #