main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

Ale to the chef

There is one recipe which I tagged in moosifer_cooks which I am determined to try soon, before the proposed How To Cook Like a Grown Up course. It's Courgettes in beer tempura. I mean, look how basic that is...surely within my capabilities? So I popped into my quality off-license tonight (as opposed to the pile-it-high offie directly across from my house) to get some Peroni Nastro Azzurro. I have done that twice before, but always ended up drinking the beer before getting around to making the tempura batter. As it was the last 4-pack of it he had in stock tonight, I must make the tempura, not just drink the beer. I look up the recipe.

Hmmm, how many does this serve? Do I need to divide the amount of flour by something to make the right amount for one? I can keep the batter overnight, right? I have vague memories of my mother making pancake batter and using it up the next day and that has eggs and stuff in it. I look at the amount of beer required, in order to see if it is one or two of the four bottles I have. I'm obviously hoping for one bottle's worth because I want to have a beer whilst watching Lost later tonight. The recipe asks for 375ml. I look at the bottle. It's 330ml. So now I have to reduce the amount of flour by, er, just over 10%. See? This is why I don't like recipes and cookbooks and stuff! Unless...

...is it a cunning ploy by the cook so that they get to drink the already open second bottle of beer?


ETA:
I began with this:
Cooking like a Grown Up 1 : prep
and ended with this:
Cooking like a Grown Up 3 : ta-da

--
Posted @ 7:49 pm on Wednesday, December 14, 2005
| | #