main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

It's a bit obvious, Robert

Curse you, Law.

I've been tagged on a meme. In the sulky spirit which causes me to tear up round robin letters and risk the hell and damnation they promise anyone who breaks the chain, I'm not going to tag anyone at the end of this. But I will do the answers:

1. Total number of films I own on DVD/video:
DVD:7. VHS: 200+

2. The last film I bought:
Hero.
Although I am meaning to get House of Flying Daggers this week.

3. The last film I watched:

  • On TV: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade. There's no good reason because I was working at a cinema when it came out and have therefore seen it well over forty times. But it is responsible for one of my favourites lines ("I wrote it down so I wouldn't have to remember!") and I wanted to vegetate.

  • On DVD/VHS: been watching a lot of TV stuff. Oh, I did watch Kill Bill (both volumes) recently.

  • At the cinema: don't recall, but I do have a ticket for Revenge of the Sith at the Odeon Leicester Square on Thursday.


4. Five films that I watch a lot:

  • Brazil : Gilliam's done bigger and better films since but this film literally changed my life. It's also one of the finest retro-dystopias ever filmed.

  • A Life Less Ordinary : My curl-up-with-ice-cream feelgood romance movie. About a wannbe writer's attempted kidnap of a spoilt heiress and their resultant crime-spree. With Holly Hunter as a pyschotic angel trying to make them fall in love. And a dance number to 'Beyond the Sea'. Admittedly the final animated bit is rubbish, but the rest is fantastic.

  • Once Upon a Time in China (1, 2 and 3) : playful without ever losing a consistant tone, OUaTiC isn't as sense-numbingly beautiful as the modern wuxia stuff like Crouching Tiget, Hidden Dragon, Hero or HoFD. But it has Jet Li as folk hero Wong Fei Hung and some very very lovely fight sequences. Avoid Once Upon a Time in China and America though (a kind of Wong Fei Hung Dances With Wolves thing).

  • The Philidelphia Story : Katy Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant in the b&w non-musical original of High Society. There's a horde of old b&w movies I taped off-air which I dip into regularly (The Ladykillers, A Matter of Life & Death, Some Like It Hot, The Man in the White Suit) but I think the Philidelphia Story typifies that little niche.

  • Hero : Having cried at the cinema, I expected to be more blasé when I got the DVD. I'm not. It borrows from Ran and Rashamon in terms of colour coding and narrative devices but it also knocks rubbish like the Matrix into a cocked hat with its fight sequences and emotional overplaying (or maybe I'm just a fool for Zhang Ziyi's trembling pouty lip). Jet Li came out of 'retirement' to make this and you can see why.




Meanwhile, A is getting all existential. And I'm post-modernist. Possibly not a shock to anyone there:

You scored as Postmodernist. Postmodernism is the belief in complete open interpretation. You see the universe as a collection of information with varying ways of putting it together. There is no absolute truth for you; even the most hardened facts are open to interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the language you use to describe things should be subject to analysis.

Postmodernist

94%

Existentialist

69%

Cultural Creative

69%

Materialist

69%

Modernist

63%

Idealist

38%

Romanticist

19%

Fundamentalist

0%

What is Your World View? (corrected...hopefully)
created with QuizFarm.com

--
Posted @ 11:33 pm on Monday, May 16, 2005
| | #