main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

I didn't know it was lost

The trouble with being a young writer (and I know I must be young as everyone keeps remarking on how David Tennant is "too young" to be the Doctor and he's the same age as me) is a lot of your work lives in your mail client. This can be handy for filing things but can also start to be a problem when you have "too much stuff" and a haphazard filing system which has organically grown as your work has done. In a perfect world, I would have a planned tag system and would methodically file each key email as required. Such things may exist but the trouble is moving from an existing system to a new system. Gradully the inboxes and folders fill, spill and get impossible to manage. They lurk on the PC with the promise of days of time-wasting "sorting my email out"; one of those tedious jobs which looks so appealing when you know you have more important things to do. A revision timetable of make-work.

I took a baby step forward today by loading Thunderbird, the sister application to Firefox (in some strange mythological genus in which an avian is a sister to a ...foxes are technically in the dog family, right?). I'd been avoiding doing anything about the elephantine email graveyard until I was sure Warring States wasn't coming back to bite me on the arse. Once I was sure I wouldn't lose years of messages from editors and the like first, I went for it with Thunderbird. It needs to be 'trained' right now, and I'm rebuilding the 'filters' (the equivilent of 'rules' under OE) from scratch as emails come in using a planned, expandable structure. But what really intrigues me is the option to save searches i.e. do a search to filter messages across the different folders and then retain those results. If this works as I think it does, then I'll be able to find emails for different projects much faster and in a maintainable manner. Cool.

And, even after importing my old mail (which took less time than I expected), the client runs so much faster than poor old OE...

Get Thunderbird


Look! Look! I didn't mention Doctor Who once...well, apart from that bit about Tennant but I don't think anyone noticed...oh bugger...

--
Posted @ 11:38 pm on Tuesday, April 05, 2005
| | #