main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  


badges, badges, we don't need no stinking badges!

(which I always think of in terms of Julian Cope's Julian H Cope so I tend to follow it with "Sissified, you're civilised, I wanna be a savage!")

I spent my writing breaks last night going through various boxes until I found some good enamel badges for my blazer. Currently, it's a lone Thompson twin but I also have a little Dougal (I'm sensing a French cartoons interest I never realised I had), a soviet communist star, a hare, a Yoko Ono Imagine Peace and a very snazzy one in silver and red. Today, i have the Thom(p)son twin.

This is rather entertaining as, back when I was at a school with blazers as uniform, I wore my stinking badges under the collar and they included a Thompson Twins one. You wore your badges under the collar, then walked about with the collar turned up to reveal them. If a prefect or teacher who was a sod about dress code came by, you just had to drop the collar to look all innocent. I had a Madness M, and the 2-tone logo - this is why as soon as I pulled on a blazer style jacket, I had an urge to add badges and go mod-like. Zoe Williams (a woman incapable of writing an article without bracketed comments) wrote about the curious lure of replicating school uniforms in the Grauniad the other week. I love her idea that the subconscious return to white shirts, black blazers etc is "the search for a set of formal parameters within which rebellion can be undertaken in a circumscribed and comprehensible manner".

--
Posted @ 10:01 am on Thursday, July 01, 2004
| | #