main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  


Went to Sinema last night intending an hour's stop, even drinking wine so as not to get in a pint-by-pint thing with one of the others. Unfortunately, I was lured into stopping by the promise of Dougal and the Blue Cat (blue is beautiful, blue is best), then a free bottle of Chardonnay. We ended up watching Valley of Gwangi instead, which is a classic of the cowboys vrs dinosaurs sub-genre. Although it had far too many cowboys and not nearly enough dinosaurs for my taste. The main t-rex was also worryingly purple, thus causing a certain amount of Barney-fear.

I thought I actually really needed a night relaxing and chilling but it turned out Chardonnay and me should not mingle as I got exceptionally miserable and grouchy when I got home. Thankfully, I sent my unhappy grouch to a friend and not here. The polite gist is that I have two very big jobs on at the day job, with deadlines over the next month, plus Warring States which has a deadline at the end of summer. And no-one who really gets things that amuse/entertain me in the way my Current Ex did. And I do truly miss writing without my darling moosifer sat on my lap and occassionally rolling over the keyboard: it's hard to get over twelve years of a work routine like that. I used to pause, when struggling, and rub him under the chin or give him a few strokes, or play rum-tum-tugger with him. Then I'd carry on writing. So, I just don't know what to do with myself now.

Naturally, I have assaged this grouchiness by buying:

  • a bigger mem card for the nikon
  • sunglasses which I think make me look suitably mod-like when in my black blazer jacket but may have been a mistake
  • a victorian style black bracelet (fake jet, obviously)
I'm planning to dig through some old drawers of stuff until I find a good badge for the blazer (I think, sadly, the prefect badge is missing).

I've also found that a good way to release the frustration over the amount of writing (day job and novel) is to beta-read friends' work, so a handful of people have been getting very thorough critiques. I think it's because I spend all day and night having to cross-check* my own work, so it's a blessed relief to just be checking someone else's and not having to come up with any more words.

Maybe I should use one of the toy Bagpi (the plural of Bagpuss) as an erzatz cat?



*what does "cabin crews to cross-check" mean, anyway? I realised I've been flying too much when I found myself using "cross-check" in a conversation about critiquing. I assume it's something involving checking the doors really are locked.

--
Posted @ 8:55 pm on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
| | #