main site
latest twittering
last fm playlist


 
blogroll

  
< # Blogging Brits ? >
< # Girls Blog UK ? >
< # Redhead Blogs ? >
< # Verbosity ? >

   
fads
latest del.icio.us

badges
Click here to find out why.
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise
atom feed

Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!
The British Bloggers Directory.
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


  

Events of the last month or so have reminded me of the theory of biorhythms: that we contain within us natural clocks which mark cycles. Our physical and emotional and intellectual states vary not solely due to our environment but also due to an inbuilt modulation. We are subject to our own good or bad vibes.

Many years ago, back in the days when people still used daisy printers, my eldest brother provided me with a biorhythm chart based on my birthday and birthtime. I found it fascinating but, since this was when DOS was still seen as radical, I eventually reused the paper and put biorhythms to the back of my mind. Until today, when my personal biology decided to kick me in the gut (well, slightly lower) with a reminder that it's been an entire cycle since Moosifer died. Which in turn reminded me about biorhythmic patterns. I'm very taken with the idea that we have inbuilt concepts of pattern and time, working on both the micro and macro scale.

I'd actually read something about this a week or two back and ripped it out the Guardian paper to go in my scrapbook of "useful oneday" articles. It suggests that modern working patterns should shift to account for our natural circadian rhythms, rather than fight them in order to impose the constructed time of the working day. I have long known I'm an owl, for instance, and it turns out this may not be related to the fact that I was born in the witching hour but that my DNA has set my clock for me. This will provide a new excuse for being late to work: "I'm sorry, my DNA didn't go off in time".

Alternatively, just mark your calendars for major geopolitical upheaval, based on Dubya's biorhymic results.

--
Posted @ 11:29 pm on Wednesday, December 17, 2003
| | #